It’s understood the man aged in his late teens had been preparing to burn-off some rubbish on a property outside of Biggenden when the incident occurred.
The teen placed some materials to be burnt on top of some hot coals which were believed to be extinguished from a previous burn.
He then poured petrol onto the area in preparation for the controlled burn, the fuel instantly caught fire causing burns to the man’s legs.
The young man quickly rolled on the ground to put out the flames.
His father then assisted the man to cool the burns under running water until the Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) arrived to treat the wounds.
The man was then road transported to Biggenden Hospital by QAS officers.
RACQ CareFlight Rescue then airlifted the man to the Royal Brisbane Hospital for specialist treatment.