Introductory Crewman Course
Learn the skills you need to work in and around helicopters in an operational environment.
Through theoretical and practical training you’ll learn:
- About pre and post flight preparation – the importance of preparation, briefing procedures and safe boarding techniques.
- How to identify and use essential Personal Protective Equipment and Safety Equipment.
- How to conduct Emergency Procedures and Drills – dealing with equipment failure, directing passengers, working with pilots and crew, brace positions and personal response control.
- How to escape a submerged aircraft and survive at sea.
- How to use lifesaving equipment including life jackets and life rafts.
- How to carry out aviation and helicopter security procedures.
- How to land in prepared and improvised sites and carry out winching and wireman activities.
Credit towards Cert III in Aviation
Completing the Crewman course will give you 9 of the 14 competencies needed for a Certificate III in Aviation – Rescue Crewman (AVI30510). If you wish to obtain your Certificate III qualification, we can provide you with additional training to do so. We also offer a Certificate IV in Aviation to further develop your skills and further enhance your career prospects.
|Unit of Competency||Brief Description|
|AVIF3005 Maintain the safety of people and aircraft||This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to contribute to the safety of people and aircraft as a member of the aircrew on a aircraft, including carrying out required safety procedures, managing safety risks and hazards, following flight crew directions, aiding and assisting passengers during an emergency, and carrying out administrative procedures related to safety matters.|
|AVIF2014 Undertake aircraft underwater escape and survival
|This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to exit an aircraft during underwater escape situations, including making appropriate survival decisions and working with others.|
Apply aircraft safety procedures
|This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to apply aircraft safety procedures, it includes preparing for airside operations, operating around aircraft and implementing aviation safety emergency procedures.|
|AVIW3025 Complete aircraft and flight equipment pre and post flight actions||This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to prepare aircraft and specialist equipment for a flight, and to perform and certify flight-servicing inspections including pre- and post-flight requirements.|
|TLIO1002 Follow security procedures when working with passengers and personnel||This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to follow security procedures when working with passengers and personnel within the transport and logistics industry. It includes checking and maintaining the security of passengers, workplace personnel and visitors; identifying and responding to security threats or situations; and completing all required security records.|
|AVIW3024 Perform wireman duties||This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to perform wireman duties, in compliance with relevant regulatory requirements of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and national operating standards. It includes preparing for recovery or deployment and recovering/deploying equipment and personnel.|