Third annual CareFlight Base to Base Cycle Challenge this weekend
Professional cyclists, athletes, RACQ CareFlight Rescue crew and former patients are geared up to embark on a gruelling nine-hour charity bike ride for RACQ CareFlight Rescue this weekend.
The annual CareFlight Base to Base Cycle Challenge will see incredibly generous riders journey 260 kilometres from the Gold Coast to CareFlight’s Toowoomba hangar on Sunday, May 4 to help raise funds and awareness for the community helicopter rescue service.
All media are encouraged to attend the official start of the event at CareFlight’s Varsity Lakes office from 4.30am for a 5am departure and the finish as riders arrive at the Clive Berghofer CareFlight Centre at approximately 4.30pm.
The unique fundraising ride has attracted three time Tour de France Green Jersey winner Robbie McEwen, Race Director for the Gatorade Queensland Triathlon Series Kerry Stubbs and four CareFlight staff including Senior Paramedic Brad Solomon.
Professional cyclists will also be along for the ride, including Alex Wohler, Ryan MacAnally and Brenton Jones. The latter is also a past patient of RACQ CareFlight Rescue.
Toowoomba locals are encouraged to join the fun at the CareFlight hangar at the Clive Berghofer CareFlight Centre on Sunday afternoon from 3.30pm to 5.30pm.
Cycling enthusiasts, families and dedicated CareFlight supporters can meet the RACQ CareFlight Rescue crew, see the rescue helicopter up-close, enjoy a free sausage sizzle and refreshments, plus cheer on the riders as they cross the finish line at approximately 4.30pm.
The riders will be passing through Gold Coast suburbs and South West towns at approximately the following times and locations:
- Varsity Lakes: Lake Street, University Drive – 5am
- Robina: Cottesloe Drive, Ron Penhaligon Way, Robina Parkway – 5.05am
- Mermaid Waters: Markeri Street – 5.10am
- Carrara: Nerang-Broadbeach Road, Nielsens Road – 5.15am
- Highland Park: Alexander Drive – 5.25am
- Nerang: McLaren Road, Beaudesert-Nerang Road – 5.35am
- Canungra: Pine Street, Beaudesert-Nerang Road – 6am
- Beaudesert: Brooklands Drive, Albert Street, William Street, Bromelton Street, Beaudesert-Boonah Road – 7am
- Rosewood: Ipswich-Rosewood Road, School Street, John Street – 10.30am
- Gatton: Davey Road, Lake Apex Drive, Western Drive – 1pm
- Toowoomba: Spring Street, Herries Street, Victoria Street, Russell Street, Taylor Street, McDougall Street – 4pm - 4.30pm
View the full 2014 route online.
The ride will provide great photo/vision opportunities along the route and all media are invited to cover this inspiring event.
Riders and spokespeople will be made available for media interviews prior to the commencement of the ride from 4.30am.
Upon completion of the ride, media are welcome to interview cyclists at CareFlight’s Toowoomba hangar from 4.30pm – 5.30pm.
Media updates will be provided throughout the day and a full media release will be issued following the event.
Support the ride by visiting Everyday Hero and donating to one of the cyclists.