Expressions of interest Retrieval Physician
Fixed Wing Retrieval Physicians work alongside Flight Nurses as part of the retrieval team to provide high level care to all patients received by LifeFlight Air Ambulance (AA).
AA retrievals are conducted within Australia and throughout the Asia-Pacific region for private insurance customers and public health agencies using jet aircraft based in Townsville and Brisbane.
Retrieval Consultants will also have the opportunity to participate in Rotary winged aircraft subject to conditions*.
LifeFlight Critical Care Doctors fly on board a variety of medically equipped aircraft and road vehicles. This includes:
Rotary Wing: Bell 412, AW 139, BK 117 (all twin turbine aircraft)
Fixed Wing Jet aircraft: Learjet 45 and Challenger 604 air ambulances for both domestic and international transfers through the Asia Pacific region
Fixed Wing propeller aircraft: King Air B200 on board the Royal Flying Doctors Service
Road: Road missions with the Queensland Ambulance Service.
Minimum Clinical Requirements
• Hold or be eligible for Specialist registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Medical Board of Australia. NB: If you hold a relevant overseas or Australian specialist qualification, but do not hold Specialist Registration, please refer to Senior Registrar information (see Registrar Retrieval).
• Have completed a minimum of six months experience at Training Registrar level (or equivalent) in:
1. Pre-Hospital and Retrieval Medicine
2. Emergency medicine
4. Intensive care medicine, and
5. Paediatric emergency medicine or paediatric anaesthesia or paediatric intensive care medicine or 12 months in accredited mixed emergency medicine
• Should have EFAST experience and hold an EFAST certification
• Be reasonably fit – able to
1. Two arm lift 25kg to waist height
2. Carry 20kg back pack 1km
3. Run 2.4km in 15min
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
• Be eligible to work in Australia without restriction, or the ability to hold a working visa
• Eligibility and successful application for an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC)
• Department of Health (DoH) support and approval scope of practice (credentialing)
We help you adjust to your work as a Retrieval Registrar by providing a eight (8) day intensive training course at our state-of-the-art LifeFlight Training Academy. This includes specific operational training for rotary and fixed wing retrieval medicine and clinical skills training in emergency retrieval and pre-hospital care. This includes:
- Helicopter and plane operations
- Pre-hospital care
- Winching operations
- Disaster management
- International retrieval
- Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET)
- Emergency Breathing Systems (EBS)
This isn’t a rote learning course. Our emphasis is on safety and ensuring you become demonstrably capable in each of these key areas. This training also counts towards your Postgraduate Certificate in Aeromedical Retrieval (with James Cook University).
- Brisbane (Brisbane Airport and Archerfield)
- Sunshine Coast (Maroochydore)