If you are an International Medical Graduate (IMG) who has obtained their primary medical degree overseas and would like to work for LifeFlight, you’ll need to gain Limited or Provisional Registration to practice medicine in Australia. You can do this by applying for one of the following assessment pathways below: 

  • The Specialist Pathway (specialist-in-training)

For overseas specialists-in-training with no more than two (2) years from completing specialist training, or overseas fully trained specialists wishing to undertake short-term training in Australia. 
An application can be made through the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine or the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists for recognition as a specialist-in-training.

  • The Specialist Pathway (specialist recognition) 

For overseas fully trained specialists seeking full comparability with the training and qualifications of a specialist trained in Australia.

  • The Competent Authority Pathway  

For overseas specialists-in-training or fully trained specialists awarded a primary medical degree through the General Medical Council (UK), Medical Council of Canada (LMCC), Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates of the United States (USMLE), the Medical Council of New Zealand (NZREX) or the Medical Council of Ireland. The Competent Authority pathway leads to general registration. 

  • The Standard Pathway

For International Medical Graduates seeking general registration who are not eligible for the Competent Authority Pathway or the Specialist Pathway.
An Australian Medical Council AMC CAT MCQ Examination is required.

For further information on Australian Medical Board registration please visit the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).


If you're interested in becoming a retrieval registrar with LifeFlight and don't hold an Australian or New Zealand passport or Australian permanent residency you must be eligible for a Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457). For further information on Visas please visit the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection.