News -

Urgent snake warning after bite

Queenslanders are being urged to watch their step a little earlier this year after a man was bitten by a snake in the state’s south west.

RACQ CareFlight Rescue airlifted a 49 year old man from Goondiwindi yesterday after he was bitten on the hand by what he thinks was a brown snake.

“The patient was bitten on the middle finger of the left hand,” CareFlight Aircrewman Mark Arthur said.

“We took him to the Toowoomba Base Hospital as a precaution as it wasn’t clear if any venom had entered his system when he was bitten.”

According to Western Australian Government statistics 50% of bites are ‘dry bites’ with no venom injected.

The man had been collecting firewood on his Goondiwindi property yesterday morning when he was bitten.

CareFlight Clinical Director Doctor Tim Harraway said the warmer weather would signal the earlier activity and warns people to watch their step.

“Don’t walk around in thongs in high grass and underbrush, use a torch at night and make sure your children are well aware of the dangers of snakes,” he said.

Doctor Harraway says there are some simple procedures that must be followed after any snakebite.

“Immobilise the patient and the limb, wrap a crepe bandage right down the limb and immediately call triple zero.”

He says most people get bitten after standing on snakes or trying to catch or kill them.

“It’s a misconception that we must have the snake for diagnosis,” he said.

“Many people get bitten again trying to kill or capture the snake.”